Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

I began making my own laundry soap a few months ago, and I'll never go back to store bought! Our clothes are cleaner, softer, and smell nice and fresh, plus I'm saving money. I needed to make a new batch today, so I thought it would be a great thing to share here. The recipe I use is not exact:
  • I start with an old vinegar bottle and a funnel (you want to use a sturdy bottle as the finished product can get heavy).
  • Then I add around 2 cups of washing soda, about a cup of baking soda (you can do equal parts washing and baking soda, but I don't usually have as much baking soda on hand) about 1/2 cup of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, around 3 cups water, and 10-20 drops lemon essential oil (or essential oil of your choice). (This proportion usually gives me great results, but adjust according to the texture you like.)
  • Use around a 1/4 cup for a normal load and shake, shake, shake before using.
  • That's it. Simple.
  • I also occasionally use white vinegar and borax with our laundry, especially diapers!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

where do you buy the washing soda?

5/11/2010 06:30:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Oh, I'm glad I caught your comment...my blog has recently moved to typepad. Here is the link...peaceloveherbs.typepad.com
I buy the washing soda at our local grocery store. It's on the cleaning aisle by the borax. Hope this helps!

5/11/2010 07:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice to find your blog from the SLV dweller...It's great! Where do you get the Bronner's soap? Is there another substitute you could use, or why that choice? Thanks!

5/18/2010 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I'm glad you found me! Please note that my blog has recently moved to typepad...here is the new address: http://peaceloveherbs.typepad.com/blog/

I get Dr. Bronner's locally at the Valley Food Co-op. It's just pure castille soap with so many uses!

5/18/2010 03:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home