Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day! How did you love your mother today?? Mason and I spent some time just being outside, taking walks, hanging clothes on the line, and watering the greenhouse. We didn't spend quite as much time outside as we might have liked due to the wind, but we still had fun.We have a little nature bowl, and this spring it holds a birds nest we made from usnea lichen, with eggs in it. Today we moved it to the center of our living room table and added some little items from nature - a couple of sticks, some rocks, a feather. We lit some candles around it and looked at all of the objects...one of our ways of appreciating our earth. Of course, Mason promptly blew out the candles, and then asked for them to be lit "just one more time", so he could blow them out again. I also just finished a craft project I've been working on quite a while for Mason. It's so fun that I finished it on earth day, because it's a nature-inspired table fort! We call it the magic mushroom house and Mason adores it. I first got the idea of making a table fort for him from one of my favorite crafty blogs, Make it and Love it. If you sew and don't know about this blog, definitely check it out! I've used several of her tutorials and have loved them all. I didn't buy fabric just for this project, but happened to have a couple of big pieces that worked great when pieced together. I used ladybug vinyl for the windows, and added some felt embellishments. I got some of the ideas for fun felt things from another site I love, Wee Folk Art. They have some wonderful free patterns! I did plan on adding more felt things (mostly animals, bugs and flowers), and Aaron had the brilliant idea to add them on occasionally instead of all at once. That way one day when we put in on for Mason to play in he'll notice a new bird, or a new flower. Love that idea!
Learning how to open the velcro door
He loves reading books inside...I need to get him a little battery powered lantern!
Side window
It was very time-consuming, but very worth it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home