Friday, April 18, 2008

Springtime!

Once again it's been a while, but finally I'm updating the blog. It feels like perfect timing, with springtime in full swing and all of the newness that this season brings. Yesterday we had a snowstorm, and today it's warm and sunny....definitely springtime in Colorado. I don't know about all of you, but Aaron and I have been spring cleaning like crazy. Last weekend we rearranged a couple of rooms in the house...it's amazing what a fresh space can do for the psyche. Aaron cleaned out the barn and I've been starting seeds indoors and enjoying watching the little babies pop up. So far I've started kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatillos, some chili peppers and flowers. Our rather ambitious weekend project is going to be building a cold frame! I'm very excited about the prospect of starting some salad greens and other plants outside soon. The chives are back in the garden, and many of the perennials are popping up. Last fall I planted 11 different varieties of heirloom garlic from seed savers exchange, and I'm amazed at how fast it's growing already. As for baby news, we are both very healthy and doing well. I can't believe I'll be entering into the last trimester in the next week. This baby seems very healthy and quite active, and I'm loving every second of feeling the little one move around in there. I'm certainly growing, as you can see from the pictures, and beginning to shift from getting used to the idea of being pregnant to thinking about the birth. I've been knitting quite a few things for the baby, I suppose it's been my way of "nesting" so far. I haven't had any strange or unusual cravings so far, though I do seem to crave exactly what my body is needing nutritionally at that time. For example lately I've been wanting beef (specifically locally-grown, grass-fed Kretsinger beef) and beets. When I told our mid-wife Heather about this, she said that it was perfect because my body is building up my blood right now, and these are two of the best blood-building foods. I guess my point with this little story is that our bodies are amazingly capable of communicating information to us about our health and well-being...we just need to learn to listen and trust them. Aaron and I are feeling great about our decision to work with Heather and have a home birth. We haven't picked out names yet, though we have a few that we're thinking about. We definitely want to meet this little person before we decide completely. We are still firm in our decision to not find out the sex of the baby, though it seems like everyone has their own theories! With spring here at last, I'd love to share some information about dandelions as a wonderful spring tonic for the body, but as this post is getting long, I think I'll do that on another post soon. I hope you are all doing well, and enjoying the change of the seasons as much as I am.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home